Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Every Right In The World

From Tommy:

Do you forgive? Do you know how to really forgive someone? I’m not sure I do.

We are commanded to forgive. Jesus said in Colossians 13, "Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have with one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." Whatever grievances. Not just the big obvious ones. That's hard. The small grievances seem to be hardest for me. I read a blog today written by a minister I admire; in fact, I had the chance to hear her preach last weekend in DC. Her blog talks about forgiving a man she strongly disagrees with – even though his speech and actions are hateful, cruel, and have even caused the death of another human being. The love she has for him is a Christ-driven love – one that reflects his creation as a child of God. WOW. She is a better person than I am. My forgiveness problem is worse than that, though. Not only do I struggle with forgiving people for big things, I can't seem to forgive folks for really little things that annoy me – or seem decidedly off mission for Christians. “Church people” can be the most difficult. Too many people look at their jobs in the church as just that – jobs. Christ and the opportunity to advance the Gospel often seem second (or worse) to individual agendas and pride. My thoughts turn even now to the many ways I could – and “should” tell them how I think they are wrong and what fools I think they are.


In fact, I have every right in the world to retaliate in some way.


The problem is that I have no right in Christ.


My choice is to follow the world – or be more of the man God made me to be.


Love your enemies, Jesus said. And if we believe in the authority of Christ, then I think it means we do to our enemies what Colossians 13 says...bear with them.

I can't help but wonder how we (I) live a Godly life if we (I) can't forgive. Also, how do they (I) live with themselves (myself) after treating others the way they (I) have – without asking for forgiveness. God has put up with a lot from me. So have other people. I suppose I can bear with a few people myself…

You know, there are not a lot of differences between Christians and non-Christians. Practically speaking, we don’t live very different lives. That’s a problem. There should be a remarkable difference. It’s the reason the mission of the church is often headed the wrong direction. It’s the reason that there is often conflict within church leadership. Our goal has become being “right” more than it is to love one another.

We need to be different. I want to be different. I am guilty of everything that bothers me about other people – and worse. “Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst” (1 Tim 1:15). I need to accept God’s forgiveness for my mistakes – and I need to let other people off the hook too.
It’s hard to do - but I feel loved – and I even want the people that trouble me to feel loved as well. So I have to make a choice. Lord, help me to forgive and be a better person.

-Tommy

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful post Tommy and oh so true. I was just talking about this very thing with some of my high school girls. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete