Friday, May 7, 2010

Mom

There's nothing like a mama-hug. -Terri Guillemets


My mother is coming next week for a 6-day visit. I can hardly wait.

I'm ready for a mama hug.


(Mom & Great Uncle Richard)
My Mom is extraordinary -- easily one of the greatest gifts God has given me. While there are a million compliments I could pay my mother, the one that encompasses them all is to say that she truly understands grace. I have watched my mom behave humbly, choose not to say what she has every right to say, offer a new perspective when something seems daunting or painful, and forgive any number of people for any number of things -- without another word about it. If Mom happens to read this post, she will surely be embarrassed - and think of the times when she didn't quite hit the mark on one of those things I just mentioned. I love when she does that. She is not righteous - nor is she perfect. But the world doesn't need perfect mothers. The world needs mothers who understand unconditional love. I'm lucky enough to have one who does.
*

My worth has never been at stake. In the thousands of ways I have fallen short over the last 32 years, and the many consequences and "punishments" I have carried as a result, I have never once wondered if I was still loved and of immeasurable worth. Why? Because my mother told me so. Long before I knew the words to "Jesus Loves Me" or had the opportunity to read and understand the Word - I had a mother whose grace was running ahead of my choices. I first met Christ in the form of two welcoming arms, an encouraging word, a kind gesture, and a knowledge that there was nothing I could ever do to separate myself from her love.
*

The God-light in my mother has lit the way for me to know that such love does exist.
*
There is nothing greater than love - and yet it cannot be measured, quantified, or explained. Prove that love is real. Follow the scientific method and search for a tangible way to demonstrate the reality of love - and you will come up short. And yet - it is the most real thing in life. At the end of the day, love is all I really care about. I guess I have to call that faith.
*

Grace is the demonstration of true love.
*
*

Justice is getting what you deserve.
Forgiveness is not getting what you deserve.
Grace is getting what you never deserved in the first place.
*
*
My mom has offered me a million clean slates, and because of her love, I can fathom the love of a Savior.
*
Thanks, Mom. I love you.
Happy Mothers Day!


(My other favorite mothers -- my sisters!)






1 comment:

  1. Tears in my eyes - Love your mom - and know that you show the same grace and love to your lovely daughter as well! Love you hon! Happy Mother's Day to you!!

    ReplyDelete