Thursday, April 22, 2010

Stand Up Under It

"For I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers, that our forefathers were all under the cloud and that they all passed through the sea. They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. They all ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ."
...
"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."
-1 Corinthians 10:1-4, 13

As you know, Tommy and I are challenging ourselves in some big ways this season of our lives. God has been so faithful to us as we have worked to accept His forgiveness for our past - and to forgive ourselves. It's not an easy task. I've always loved listening to preachers talk about the idea of offering difficulties at the foot of Christ and being "washed in the blood", but it hasn't come easily for me. I lay things at the foot of the cross, enjoy a moment or two of freedom, and then make sure to collect my items on my way back up to my feet. I would feel lost without them afterall! They are mine. There is part of me that relishes in my junk. It's sad - and I can claim that I don't want to keep carrying the same issues around - but until I discipline or "purpose" myself to take action --- I'm living in a continuous sitcom -- where everything is ultimately the same at the end of the day. No matter how many times Uncle Jessie or Dan sits on the end of DJ's bed and has a heart-to-heart, you can be sure to find similar shinanigans the next time you tune in.

The bottom line is that we all make choices every day that lead to consequences. If we wanted our lives to look different - we would make different choices. Sure there are events that are out of our control - but for the most part - we are all living the lives we have chosen. My Sunday School class (whom I love dearly) recently did a study on creating margin in our lives. The study included some DVDs with Andy Stanley, but it was the discussion with my friends that was super helpful. It's no fun living near the tipping point. Living with some space around the edges is healthy.

Many of us have turned things that God intended as blessing - into idols. Our jobs, spouses, children, belongings, bodies -- and on and on -- have become the biggest "sin" in our lives. Drugs, sex, and rock & roll are the least of my worries! My relationship with Christ is most often compromised by everyday "good" things.

Giving into temptation and refusing to access the power in our spiritual muscles ultimately leads to weakness and burnout. The good news is that no temptation that has "seized" any of us is beyond what God will be faithful to provide a way out of. We are not encountering anything new -- and we cannot be conquered if we are strong enough to stand up under whatever it is. What I am dealing with is common to man. What you are dealing with is too. God has seen it all before...

Tommy and I recently joined the Y to strengthen some of our weak muscles. I'm hoping the treadmill is the first step on the road to discovering healing balm in Gilead.




No comments:

Post a Comment